The Hiatus Is Over

Where have I been? Question of the day… actually, question of the past 2 weeks (almost 3) since that’s how long it’s been since I’ve posted.

Well, I went home for Christmas where I proceeded to get really sick and ended up spending Christmas Day alone.

Actually, I wasn’t quite alone. While my parents and brother fled the house to my grandparent’s little shindig, I had a cozy fire, some chicken broth and Bridgette Jones keeping me company. So, it wasn’t too bad of a day. Plus, I had presents. Seriously, how can you be miserable when you just opened up a bunch of new loot?

Including a fuzzy hat with little ears on the side, a beautiful leather journal, chocolate (!), books and scarves!

Then, I was all of a sudden in the middle of the ocean on a tiny island called Jamaica.


Ever heard of it?

If you’ve never been to Jamaica, you need to go. Now. It is the most beautiful place I have ever been with its lush green foliage, bright flowers, colorful houses, cerulean ocean, white beaches, fun music (hey, Bob Marley) and wonderful people. Without getting into too much detail, because I think I want to write a longer, more detailed post about my trip, my vacation in Jamaica was absolutely amazing. I had never felt so relaxed and care-free in my life.

It could have been because of my lack of connection via telephone and internet to the world back at home. Maybe it was the calming sound of the water lapping against the sand. It could have been the rooster cock-a-doodling at the crack of dawn (I’m so serious!). Maybe it was just the fact that I had been transplanted to a warm, tropical island where the sun was shining, the birds were chirping and the reggae was playing.

The care-free and relaxed attitude Jamaicans have also helped me realize life doesn’t need to move so fast, mon. Nothing is a problem. Nothing is so urgent that it needs to be stressed over to the point of nausea (guilty!).

The resort I stayed at in Montego Bay, like all of the other resorts on the island, had amazing food. I could go on for days talking about the food. So, without getting too carried away (at least in this post) I will tell you that pineapples in Jamaica are white not yellow and they are the sweetest fruit ever! The amount of squid, octopus and conch I ate shouldn’t have been legal. Jamaican jerk chicken tastes a lot better IN Jamaica. And I ate dessert at every meal. It’s true. I always ate dessert. Even at breakfast, I would have a bite or two of some yummy pastry.

The best part of the whole trip is that I forgot about having diabetes. Ok, I mean, not really. But it wasn’t at the forefront of my mind, like it usually is. It was almost like an afterthought. Probably because my blood sugar stayed absolutely perfect the entire time. My body must love warm weather. Maybe I should have stayed there for medical reasons. Maybe I need to move somewhere warm all year round if my perfect numbers in the 80s and 90s were any indication. I sure would have some nice A1c’s.

Anyway, it was a total bummer getting on the plane to come back home. I could instantly feel the stress levels rising as soon as I saw we were flying over the Washington D.C. area getting closer and closer to Baltimore. And right on cue, my blood sugar had crept up to a lovely 140.

I told you. Warm weather and no stress.

So, after getting back it took me the whole week before I felt like I knew what I was doing again. Translation- I was semi-depressed the week after I got back from Jamaica and didn’t know how to get back into my routine.

Luckily, Saturday came and I felt better. I had a much better handle on my life and didn’t feel like a floundering fish out of water.

Let me tell you, peeps. This past weekend was pretty darn amazing. It was definitely the perfect weekend after a rough week. Friday night was nothing to write home about. Just me and Lilly (the cat) lounging around watching movies and reading. Saturday during the day was much of the same. But Saturday night, whew. I needed a good party night and I got it!

I headed over to a friend’s house with both of my roommate’s (a rare thing for all of us to party together). We were celebrating a friend’s birthday so it was a pretty small gathering of about 12 of us. Our one friend DJs, so he had his booth up playing some awesome House music, getting us ready for a long night of dancing. Of course, there was alcohol. And cupcakes! The most delicious, yummy cupcakes you could ever eat.

Those were brought out really late at night when everyone had had quite a bit to drink, leading to the devouring of cupcakes. I, the diabetic, was somehow tasked to cutting up the cupcakes into quarters. I probably ended up eating a few more quarters than I would have if I hadn’t been drinking all night, but luckily the wine kept my blood sugar pretty low.

Yes, diabetes police… I know that is not the healthiest thing to do nor is it the smartest. But I don’t indulge in such behavior very often and it was a really great time J

So, my night was made even better when A, my boyfriend, made an appearance at around 3 am. He had been working hard all night, so I was really surprised and happy when he showed up. We did a bit more partying but people started to either fall asleep or trickle out the door.

It definitely was a fun night with great friends.

Sunday was another lazy day and while I usually go a bit crazy with guilt when I lay around all day, I didn’t on Sunday. It was perfect!

That brings me to this past week. Not so wonderful, again.

I started feeling really sick with a horrible headache and a sore throat about a half an hour before my roommate brought home the new dog she bought (a Morkie- he’s precious!). I really wanted to hang around and play with Max (the Morkie) and Skylos (Michael’s dog- PomPoo) but I was feeling so miserable.

I had a fever all night and my sore throat turned into barely being able to swallow. And when I did swallow, my ears hurt so bad. My glands were swollen and my head felt like it was full of pressure.

So, after spending all day in bed on Tuesday and most of Wednesday, and with the constant urging of A and my mom to get to the doctor, I finally went. I was prescribed some antibiotics and hopefully that will kick whatever this thing is into the ground.

Of course, being real people sick has led to some crazy numbers for my diabetes. This morning I woke up at 145. Not a number I’m used to seeing first thing in the morning. So, after a carb light breakfast (after waiting an hour or so to eat) I tested and found I was 199.


After not eating all day, I tested and was 98, so I figured that was low enough for me to eat some soup for lunch.

If only I didn’t have to eat. My numbers might be perfect on sick days like today.

Luckily, I’m feeling a bit better today. No fever, but extremely tired. The only thing on my mind is my bed.

But I have to change the sheets first (and again for the 2nd time in 2 days). Fevers are not conducive to fresh sheets.

Hope everyone stays fever and wacky blood sugar free!

Also, on a final note- I promise not to stay away for so long again! Completely unacceptable!

Happy New Year!


4 thoughts on “The Hiatus Is Over

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s